About Me

My photo
Hulu Langat, Selangor, Malaysia
I'm a guy who's trying to find my way around the world and trying to find what is the purpose of my existence, and I'm growing old day by day.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Perfectionism

While searching for something random inside the Wikipedia, I came across this term; Perfectionism. I'm amazed by this term. Wow. To think that there is a term that describe people like that. I'm not insulting them nor envy them. I'm doing this just for the purpose of sharing with you all.

The definition that I get from the Wikipedia, Perfectionism is a belief that perfection can and should be attained. In its pathological form, perfectionism is a belief that work or output that is anything less than perfect is unacceptable.

There's more actually. Most of the psychologist said that this kind of lifestyle is actually an unhealthy lifestyle and belief. There are two types of perfectionist:-

  1. Normal perfectionistderive a very real sense of pleasure from the labours of a painstaking effort.
  2. Neurotic perfectionistunable to feel satisfaction because in their own eyes they never seem to do things well enough to warrant that feeling of satisfaction.

Actually there's more. Some of them describe perfectionist as having obsessive personality types which is distinct from obsessive-compulsive disorder. Perfectionist are obsessives who need to feel in control at all times to protect themselves and ensure their own safety. But there are also good points in this type of personality. By being constantly vigilant and trying extremely hard, they can ensure that they not only fail to disappoint or are beyond reproach but that they can protect against unforeseen issues.

Wow. there are also pros and cons in this type of personality. Very interesting indeed. For some reason that I actually don't know about it myself, I want to study this type of people. Why they have this type of personality? For what purpose do they want to live this kind of life?

But whatever it is, you can't judge the book by its cover. Maybe they have their own purposes by taking that  kind of lifestyle. So we need to respect and appreciate each others uniqueness. That makes us human. We are not perfect. But along the journey, we will find many challenges. That challenges will shape our true self.

P/S: this post is not related to anyone at all. i did this just to fulfill my free time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment